Wednesday, February 8, 2012

My Daughter Calls Her "Creepy"

I have a very weird dog.  I love her.  I let her nap with me.  She is is shy and weird, but, boy do I love her.

She is one of those dogs that seems to be the result of living a life of being bullied.
It is so sad.
It really breaks my heart sometimes, ......because.....

The other dog I love, who is so dang smart!  She is too smart for her own good.  She is the bully!

As a pet owner I don't know what to do.


This is Ivy.  This is a typical profile of her.  Her tail is down.  Her head is watching, "where is the bully" all the time.  She is never, I mean never, ever doing anything, except watching to see where her other canine house mate is.  She lives in fear every day, every moment of her life.

The bully is over romping in the deeper snow and having a great time.  While poor Ivy hangs near the fence, out of the deep snow, because she will get attacked it the bully thinks she might leave a footprint in the deep snow, which, in her mind, all the snow belongs to the bully and no one else!


She is such a sweet dog.  I love her!

But here she is.  Hiding on the deck.  Always keeping one eye on the "white bully".

Her personality has developed into a deranged little dog.  She acts like she is in fear of her life nearly every hour of every day. She acts like that, because she is!  It breaks my heart.  Because she doesn't deserve it.  She is so sweet, so kind and has only one fault.  She runs away if she get loose outside.

Her only safe place is when she sits on my lap.  She knows she is safe there. 
Even when the "white bully" gets next to us, little Ivy has faith and trust in me to keep her safe.  But, if she gets "the look" she gets down off my lap.  She has learned it just isn't worth it.

So, today, while they are outside, doing what dogs do outside, Ivy never quits looking at that other dog.  She just can't risk it.

Suddenly, the "white bully" is finished doing what she was supposed to do outside and joined Ivy on the deck.  Poor Ivy.  She thought she was safe for just a moment or two.

The "white bully" gets into her mind that poor Ivy is to be malled, bitten, growled at, and terrified every single day.  The usual actions start, again.  Always the same thing.....the wrestling match.


It wasn't long until Ivy was trying to come up for air.  She is hoping, that just this once, she won't be malled, bitten, growled at, or disfigured.

She is terrified of this dominating alpha dog.  This small white bundle of fur is ruthless when it comes to being a "bully". 


Ivy lives in a fearful state all day long.  Just look at those ears.  She is submissive and still gets the crap knocked out of her.  She even lays on her back, in total submissive dog language, and it doesn't help. 

I want to be one of those mommies who gets to blog about all the love!  Seeing them lay next to each other on the sofa.  Snuggling next to each other in front of the fireplace.  Sharing toys.  Licking each other.  Showing love and concern for each other.

But, instead, our home is not a loving safe place for everyone.

Ivy lives in terror.


She goes crazy as she tries to be the winner of just one wrestling match!

My daughter may be correct.  Ivy does look creepy.

Oh, come to me baby.  Jump up into my arms and let me save you.........probably the exact opposite of what I should be doing.....but I sure do want to save her, and give her a happy well balanced life in our home.

What is a mother to do?

Love, Me

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
happy, in love, getting closer to retirement, love my family, love my Savior.