Monday, October 31, 2011

Harvest What You Can On Halloween

Happy Windy, Blustery, Rainy, Cloudy Halloween!

In our town we have a fresh produce store.  It is Scorsbys.  I love it.  They grow lots of produce and sell it fresh from their house to ours.



The other day I was at Scorsbys to buy potatoes.  They had 50 lb boxes of potatoes for $10.99.  Yeah, what a deal!  So, I asked if they could combine some Russet Potatoes and some Yukon Gold into one box.  Yep, they could.  And they did. 

They are so willing to do just what you want.

And do you want to know what else I bought there?

Pumpkins.  Good carving pumpkins.  $.99 cents each!

Can you believe how much cheaper it is to live in Idaho!!!!???

Anyway, as I was checking out, the clerk told me about the peppers she was selling.  They were red, yellow and green peppers.  She said they were 5 for $1.00.  However, she warned me, they might have a little spot on them, but they are perfectly good peppers.


Some had marks from laying in the dirt, some had soft spots, but it didn't affect the entire pepper.

So, I bought several of them.

I bought 2 yellow, 2 red, and 1 green pepper.  I am not a fan of green peppers.

I brought them home and washed them, and chopped them.


And chopped and chopped.
It went quickly.
I only had 5 peppers to chop.


They smelled so good. 
The soft spots were minimal, the dirt was minimal.
I had made a very good buy.



I just diced them.
Then layed the diced peppers on a cookie sheet and put them in the freezer.

Because there is quite a lot of moisture in peppers they freeze beautifully.

I left them to freeze about an hour, and then they were ready to be bagged.

I put them in freezer bags and labeled them.

When I need diced peppers for a cooking recipe I will grab them and use them.
They must be used in cooking.  They won't thaw and be be good for fresh peppers for a salad or such.
They would be soft and mushy to use out of the freezer, but they are wonderful for cooking soups and things like that.

Yep, I love a good buy!

Thanks Scorsbys.

Love, Me

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
happy, in love, getting closer to retirement, love my family, love my Savior.