Saturday, May 28, 2011

Soup Day

I love home made soup.
I love to make home made soup.
I love to use whatever I have on hand to make home made soup.

So, I made some soup.

I started with my special gift from my husband, my enamel lined, cast iron pot.


I just poured some Extra Virgin Olive Oil into the bottom of it, just enough to cover the bottom, and enough to coat the veggies I am chopping.


You can see I have chopped onions, carrots, celery. In the back of the photo you can barely see the package of mushrooms that will also be chopped and added.

I am also adding some chopped red pepper, because I found one in the crisper drawer of the fridge. 


If I had thought about chopping a fresh garlic, I would have, but since I have a huge bottle of chopped garlic in a bottle, I am using it.


I used about 2 teaspoons of the minced garlic, that was California grown.  They sure are handy to have on hand.  I even share them with my neighbors, because I don't think I will live long enough to use a 48 oz. container of minced garlic.  Do you want some too?  Come on over.  I will be glad to share some with you.


All these yummy ingredients are added into the pot.  On medium heat let the luscious veggies simmer and bubble until they all look transparent, and good.  Don't over cook them, because they will continue to cook more when we add the liquid.


You can see on top of this jar that it is chicken.  I canned it a couple of years ago, and I have loved having it on hand.  Someday I will have to tell you how I canned it.  But, for today you will just have to trust me that it is one of the smartest things I have ever done.

So, I opened up this  wide mouth pint jar and drained the broth into the pot with the veggies.  Then I cut up the chicken.


I added the chopped chicken, which is so tender and wonderful, you hardly have to chop it.  But, I chopped it anyway, and I added it to the pot.


Doesn't that just look Divine??? 
Does it make your mouth water?
Yeah, I thought so.

Well, we aren't done yet. 
We have to add some chicken broth, the kind from the store.

INSERT PICTURE OF CHICKEN BROTH

I didn't take a picture of that....so use your imagination.
I added 2 or 3 cans.  What ever you think it needs.

And add some water to make up more broth...

Then, use your imagination again.....
Here comes the seasonings.

Add what you like.
I like parsley, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper....
Even Italian seasoning is good.
Really.
Open your cupboard, and see what you have on hand and use it.
If you use different seasonings, your soup will take on a new taste, so don't get in a rut.


I froze some corn last fall, so I like to add some of that, as well.

INSERT PICTURE OF FROZEN CORN (FROM THE FREEZER).

Be creative.  Enjoy the adventure of developing your tastes and mixing things up a bit.

Throw in some spinach if you have some that is wilting and needs used up. Soups are a great way to hide wilted veggies...just saying.

If you are feeding a crowd, add some Egg Noodles.  You will need more broth, but it is wonderful.

Let it simmer a little while, so the flavors mix up.

Whip up a batch of home made rolls while it simmers.  You aren't eating for an hour, right?

Well, now you know my secret to a wonderful home made soup.
Take a few minutes and make some soon.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
happy, in love, getting closer to retirement, love my family, love my Savior.